Saturday, March 15, 2014

Diy storage boxes

So, I had some boxes that were a good grade cardboard that I put to the side, instead of breaking down and going to recycle. I also had a need for cute storage boxes.

How freaking cute, right? Ok here's the supply list:
Free cardboard boxes (a shoe box or drill box)
White paint pen
Spray paint (I advise a paint + primer) 
Optional:
Leather strip
Twine
Thumbtacks
Ruler

Photo fun time
Notice, the purple was a paint plus primer and worked sooooo much better than the just paint.

It's pretty self explaining but here's a quick over view:
Outside spray paint your box or boxes, you need vented air so don't attempt this indoors. When spray painting anything even just cardboard don't try a one coat and done approach. Spray the entire area lightly. You just need something down on the surface to help the second coat hold. It's on the second coat that you can apply more coverage but really full coverage comes from the third coat. Ok, paint applied and dried...15 minutes later...now to draw on the design. You can use google image search for vintage suitcases and then have fun. I went free hand. This is diy so don't think you need perfect straight lines. My "straight" lines dames from a DVD case...a ruler might have been better but I didn't feel like searching.



No comments:

Post a Comment