Thursday, June 5, 2014

DIY Soup Can Wind Chime

When given the choice between hay or brightly colored ribbons, birds will build their nest with color. It is no different to humans. We want our "nest" to be not only a source of security but of color and comfort.  While building my nest I wanted to make sure as to not harm my environment with unnecessary trash. Of course, this means I recycle, terrarecycle, and up-cycle.

Using soup cans in decreasing sizes I was able to produce a lovely wind chime of sorts. Because my cans gradually decreased in size I wanted the color to also have a decreasing/increasing feel.


Supplies to DIY
Cans ... The size is really dependent on how many cans you have and the look you personally find pleasing. As for me it's always three:) 
Paint 
Paint primer
Paint brush
Twine, rope, ribbon, etc... (Personalize with whatever material you have on hand)
Screwdriver or ice pick (as I just typed ice pick the question of if people really own ice picks anymore came to mind, haha, feeling my old soul)





1- strip your cans of their paper
2- spray paint a quick coat of metal primer ...this is just a base so you don't need a lot. 
3- paint the cans the desired color, dry, then repeat. 
4- punch a hole in the middle of each can.
5- string the cans together...I used a small bead to hold the cans at the height I wanted for even spacing between cans. 
6- now just finish the bottom with beads, feathers, etc..




Quick side note on my gradual paint color. I achieved this by painting my middle can the gray color. I then added white to that gray to get my lighter color and finally I added some black to that to get my darkest. 


I seriously can't help myself when it comes to Bella. She follows me around everywhere I go and she looks so freaking cute, plus I actually have camera in hand so there you go.


As always thanks for reading and stay classy :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment