Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Amazing Before and After Painted Table - DIY style

Sharing another paint transformation. I'm constantly blown away by the miracles of paint. With just a couple coats of spray paint I was able to take a really generic table  and give it a personality to match my home. Here's what I used to DIY-
Sandpaper
Old rag
Toilet paper rolls
Masking tape
Spray paint
Optional - gold paint and a brush 


To get things started you will need to sand the table and the legs. Any surface that you want to paint should always be sanded first. Sanding gives the surface minor scratches that aid in the paints ability to adhere. Surprisingly the best surface for paint is paint. Which leads to primer. Primer is used as a base coat to even the surface, cover stains, and prevent rust. Once you have sanded, wipe everything down so you're not painting dust permanently to the table.



I taped off the bottom of the legs using toilet paper rolls and some masking tape. I knew I wanted the bottom of the legs to be a different color so instead of painting the entire leg and then painting over the indigo, I just taped off the bottom. To do this, cut the paper roll open then tape it around the leg making sure to keep it straight.



Ok head outside for the painting; you need good ventilation when spray painting, or painting in general, so go outside. This little one follows me everywhere and I don't mind the assistance... 




Haha I wish she assisted but usually she is a distraction :) but a lovely one. 




The paint I chose was Valspar - paint and primer in one #85029 in Satin Indigo Streamer -side note- Today's post isn't sponsored, all opinions are my own.  The can advertises any angle spray and it's not a lie, even upside-down the spray continued to be a fine mist and not clot or jam up. The coverage was good and the color matches the cap spot on so I would recommend it. 



Finishing touches are what will really set your piece apart from another's. Think of an outfit. You wouldn't just wear indigo and neither should your table. I'm currently into gold, after a life time of loving silver, so that's what I added to mine. Of course the bottom of the legs got the gold treatment but I also gave the table top a dry brush of gold. I didn't want to cover my indigo but I wanted the shimmer of the gold. To achieve this use a dry brush and apply the gold lightly then immediately follow that with a rag and wipe any excess off, leaving it really only in the crevices. 




Hope you enjoyed and if so check out my other before and afters under the label Paint Transformation. 
Remember sharing is caring and keep it classy. 

P.s. Lakesidehomestead has now joined Facebook. Come and like the page it's Facebook/Lakesidehomestead

No comments:

Post a Comment