Thursday, July 3, 2014

DIY Repurpose Button-up Shirt into a Skirt with Pockets

I am so excited to share this post with y'all today. It is beyond easy. If you have a too big button down laying around in a flowing fabric like silk or satin then you have a skirt! Check your mans closet for some pimping silk:) 


While out thrifting I found this beautiful vintage silk top. This isn't a perfect world we live in so, of course, the shirt was way too big. That didn't stop me from buying it. I love the pattern of the flowers it really has a soft feminine look without being overly girlie. 



I've taken men's shirts and turned them into skirts before but this time I didn't even use the sewing machine. I openly admit that my sewing skills are barely up to par, I mean I have only been dabbling in sewing since January. I'm in need of a few (or several ) classes. Honestly, it was my lack of skill that lead me to this idea. I have seen all over the internet ladies tying the shirt sleeves around their waist for a quick skirt but I'm not into the look of that giant sleeve bow, no offense to those that like it. 


I used the first button and button hole as my waist (not the collar button). Leaving the collar to accentuate the curves of my waist. So essentially it's not buttoned up, but left open to flow around your curves... A lady should always be modest, so I wore some little shorts under my repurposed skirt. 




If you can tie a knot then you can make this skirt with pockets. Just tie a single knot with the sleeve, then push the sleeve inside out so it's hanging in the skirt. I just added that piece of paper so you could see the sleeve. This project doesn't involve a single tool. I would say it's as easy as pie, but pie isn't easy at all. It's as simple as instant pudding:) 


Your pocket will extend from the seam to the knot. The further down the knot, the deeper the pocket. I went half way with it and that works just fine for phone or keys. 


Complete the outfit with a simple tank top and my handcrafted jewelry. The skirt works great on the farm because of the pockets (I'm that crazy lady that carries bird seed with me at all times) and it's so light weight and frilly that it will also look great on my lunch date. 




 


Hope you have enjoyed. I can't wait to share my Fourth of July outfit with y'all. Till then, keep it classy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment