Thursday, July 10, 2014

Diy Tiered Hanging Planter (with a Homestead sneak peak)


To make this tiered hanging planter, I first...

Collected three cans from recycle
Stripped said cans of the label
Spray painted them in a matching turquoise 
Let the paint dry
Poked a bunch of holes in the bottom of the cans
And finally grabbed my camera 



Here's how to DIY 
So, after you have punched in enough holes for proper drainage grab your rope, or whatever else you might like. I went with what appears to be a light weight nylon rope. I haven't worked with it before so I used two strands to double the strength. 


I thought that if I used the center hole to run the rope through that the cans would hang more centered, but all the cans tilted even with the addition of soil. I don't mind the tilt, I'm just mentioning it so you don't struggle trying to center everything. So, loop your rope and just run it through any hole, tie a knot under the cans to hold them apart.





Fill with a soil mix that fits the needs of the plants you will be using. Add your plants and hang where ever. I love having new plants for my new planters so I used cutting for this. The plant they came from is two years old and I have cut it so many times I seriously couldn't fathom trying to count it up. Look how it grows as a flowing wave. This is one of my favorite plants to gift because it does well in sun or shade ( grows best in sun) and is really hardy when it comes to water needs (only once a week).
 


I love this big old tree but all the branches are way up. I hung my plants right on the tree trunk so it would have a little color closer to eye level. I love it but I'm excited to see the plants take off and hang over the cans. 







 Hope you enjoyed. I have a sneak peak to share. This is what has been occupying all of our weekends and spare moments, a true labor of love. 


Until next time, keep it classy:) 


No comments:

Post a Comment