Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Project Studio - Interior Finishing

I haven't written a Project Studio post in awhile so I thought I would share more of that today. If you have been paying attention to the background in the previous Project Homestead post I have given sneak peaks of the studio; it's that cute blue-gray building with the black and yellow door. 

Here's were I left you last...
Once, we had everything insulated we put up Sheetrock on the walls and ceiling. This is relatively simple but there are some tricks. If you have to cut an edge, you need an extremely sharp razor. This isn't the time to be cheap or lazy (as in our case), replace your blades frequently. Also, put cut edges together. Same with the smooth edges, put them together. You want everything as smooth as possible so you can tape and float with less obstacles. 

Our laziness on the razor blades made for less than perfect seams, so my tape and float was a little rough:( ...I should also add that I hadn't done any tape and float in some years so I was a bit rusty.  

Next up was texturing the walls. I wanted to achieve a light effect with the texture so I choose a relatively smooth roller. I was working with pre-mixed mud so I just added a little water to help thin the look and feel. 

The mud will change color once it's dry and then you are ready for paint. I went with a white for the walls. It's not quite a bone white but not an off white either, the color helps keep the studio airy. To draw the eye out I painted the inside of the windows a slight gray. I think it gives the windows more depth. I painted the ceiling a sky blue because the studio has high ceilings so that needed to be embellished (plus, white ceilings are so expected, I like the unique ). 


If you look out the window, you will notice a four legged creature, that's Bella digging in our old fire pit. 

Curious baby Bella.

Had to add a shot of Mr. Bill because he follows me everything plus his feathers are brilliant.

Ok, back to the awesome view from the studio. This is the view from our loft. 

Here's the loft. We built it as a place for a quiet nap or just a cozy place for me to read when I'm not running around trying to take over the world. Even though it's a small space I wanted to give the loft a "formal bed" which means it has to have a headboard. This was a DIY. Using some poster I cut out a stencil and hand painted the headboard right on the wall. It really helps set a comfy sleep loft vibe.

I utilized the space under the loft for my office. A desk, chair, and a few shelves fit nicely. The loft is set at a height of 7'2" so there is plenty of head room for my taller friends. 


The view from outside is pretty great too. That giant branch really gives the studio a treehouse atmosphere. 

Here is one of the pictures I posted early that gave a sneak peak of the studio....on the homestead:)

Now, we started (and completed) the construction on property in the city. We were in the process of looking to buy our homestead site, which ended up taking longer than we had both anticipated. Patience is not a virtue of mine so we got started building the studio. Once, we had purchased our homestead we enlisted a friends services and moved our pride and joy 54 long miles. Here is a sneak peak of that. 


Till next time, I leave you with fact seven from 11 Facts About Recycling @ https://www.dosomething.org/facts/11-facts-about-recycling

  1. 7. Americans throw away 25,000,000 plastic bottles every hour.
  2. This is completely avoidable. Use a reusable water bottle for water. The bottled water is from the tap anyway so really you are creating waste and wasting money. When the craving for soda hits you, use a refillable mug (not the styrofoam cups) and get a fountain soda. This saves so much in fuel, packaging, etc that you also save money by going with the fountain. Alright y'all keep it clean, green, and classy. 
  3. -Shalimar


No comments:

Post a Comment