Thursday, December 11, 2014

Dry brush painting technique

I'm making over this mantel to better fit our tiny home. This started out as an electric fireplace but the mantel was so much larger than the heating "fireplace" portion that I disassembled it. 

I wanted to age the mantel and give it added texture so I used dry brushing technic to paint it.
Dry painting is what it sounds like, painting with a dry brush. Keep a rag with you to continually wipe down your paint brush so that it doesn't soak up too much paint. It helps a lot if you just tip the brush in and not dunk the brush deeply. 

I really got in there and also painted the inside. 

The point was to add texture so I didn't apply a thick even coat instead gave the paint attention in the crevices. Keep your painting strokes long. You will see were the paint brush stops and starts with dry brushing so longer is cleaner. 

My darling Bella came along and she is learning "up" so she wanted to swap places with the mantel.  







Too stinking cute!  I just want to eat her up:) 


Ok back to the boring mantel.

I didn't want the end product to be so aged with the dark peaking out everywhere. I added one more layer of paint but this time I used spray paint that I sprayed in quick sweeping motions so it wouldn't be a solid layer. 


I did this in small steps so it wouldn't be too solid. 

Notice the difference between the front and the sides.  

This is the paint I used. I will be styling the mantel later (and posting that) but I need to find some spare time first:) 

That's that for now. Y'all enjoy your weekend and remember while y'all are out there Christmas shopping that the Christmas spirit is one of love, joy, and understanding. Let's all practice the manners our mommas taught us and please hold the door for ladies...especially if you are a lady. 
Green, clean, classy
Shalimar 

No comments:

Post a Comment