Thursday, May 8, 2014

DIY Faux Distressed (plastic) Plant Pot

Today I am showing you how I added a chic distressed detail to a plastic planter, plastic! So, I really love how planter pots have advanced to plastic for the affordability but let's be honest it's not terra cotta. 

I wanted to add a white wash to this planter but as mentioned it's plastic. Plastic is notorious for its slick surface, nothing will adhere to it. I over came this problem with tacky glue, haha. Using glue to adhere, who would have guessed it. 

Supplies:
Tacky or craft glue
Acrylic paint
Paint brush
Twine
Mix together the paint and tacky glue, if needed add a little warm water to thin.

This was after one coat, which is never enough. Always use at least two coats.


Two coats later. Since the paint really doesn't want to stick you have to be careful with the second, or even third. When brushing the paint on try to not brush over the same areas or the previous coat with want to smudge a bit.


I applied in small brush strokes because I like seeing the stroke marks but you could use longer strokes for better blending.
The planter needs to be hung because my baby Bella, a goat, loves to nibble on anything green in her young curious toddler stage. This was done with twine and a simple slip knot.


Keeping it simple just tie the ends into a couple knots and trim extra.

It's a super cloudy, overcast, misty kind of day so the lighting sucks, sorry.

The plant is a type of ivy, not sure which. 



No comments:

Post a Comment