Tuesday, May 13, 2014

DIY Outdoor Pillow

I made today's project out of recycling, of course. While in a dollar store, Dollar Tree, I came across the table clothes. I saw the words "flannel back", "wipes clean", and noticed the edge was sewn. A light bulb went off in my head, I can use this as if it were fabric and sew myself up an outdoor pillow. 



Genius right? Haha well maybe I wouldn't go as far as genius but I'm comfortable calling this a bright idea. Since the pillow is going outside I didn't want to use any form of tradition stuffing because most material would soak up water. Now, let me start by saying that whenever you go grocery shopping, or any shopping really, you should have reusable bags. Try try as I might I just can not remember to bring bags every time I go shopping (sometimes my shopping is spree of the moment, those "oh look they have a sale" kind of moments. Just because I have dipped into the "dark side" (small inside joke about not recycling and being aware of the trash you leave behind) doesn't mean that I just break all rules, I do recycle the bags but today we will repurpose them into the stuffing. 


Treat the table cloth as if it were fabric and sew up a pillow. For mine, I kept it really simple. I traced a "pillow" shape (rounded corners on a small rectangle). Headed to the sewing machine and used a long straight stitch. This is vinyl we are talking about so there isn't anything to fray, just trim the excess and fill it up.


In the back of the pillow I used the wide clear packing tape to seal things up and, fingers crossed, make the thing water proof. It is forecast to rain on and off all day so it will be put to the test. I will report back tomorrow. 









Mr. Sainic jealous of all the attention Sir Beckendorff was getting jumped in on the photo shoot.


Clearly, he doesn't fit so I had to just put the pillow on him:) These guys are why I don't spend money on exterior decorating. Hope you enjoyed and as always please follow, post, and share. Thanks, y'all have a great day:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment