Tuesday, September 2, 2014

DIY How to sew a new neckline, using the original hem

I had gotten this cute tee shirt awhile back (@anthropology, no longer available) but never wear it because of the plunging neckline. When I purchased it I had intentions of wearing a white tee under it, but I hate wearing an "undershirt" in this Texas heat so it basically just took up room in my closet. 


I tried the shirt on backwards and got the idea to reverse fit it. The collar line on the back side of a shirt is usually straight, but a neckline needs a round line. Here's how to DIY a new neckline.

1. Flip inside out, use the backside
2. Iron out wrinkles
3. Mark the starting point for the curve of your neckline
4. Fold in half and mark the other side
5. Pin together
6. Mark the lowest point of the curved neckline on the half fold line
7. Cut the neckline
8. Remove the fabric up to the neckline hem
9. Pin the shirt back to the neckline hem
10. Sew and wear








Since the shirt, in its new backwards state, shows off a bit of my back I wore it with my hair down. When I would turn or move my hair would slide over giving a peek a boo of my back. I felt it was still relatively modest (in comparison to what some women wear). 







Till next time y'all keep it green, clean, and classy. 
Shalimar

No comments:

Post a Comment