Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Project Suds and the magic of pallets

Continuing work on the sud shack. We had the bottom half of the walls covered but the top half still needed to be dressed. 

We did this with reclaimed wood in the free form of pallets:) We studded the Suds out with 2' instead of the recommended 16" because we wanted the studs to line up every four feet. We had plenty of pallets in that length. My Mr also framed out the triangular spaces at the top with custom pallet trim.... After I screened that section, of course... We are shooting for pest proof. 


Since, wood needs something to seal and protect it from rain and what not I got started chalking up all the connecting joints and going round one with the paint.

Yes, the wood still shows in some areas. This is just round one. Paint is always a two coat (minimum) process but when working with a super absorbent surface like this three coats is key.


Painters tip.... When taking a break you need to keep your roller safe from drying out. Put it in a plastic bag and roll the bag over it, this will hold for up to 24 hours! But I recommend only a few hours.


The left side wall we left an opening as a window. This is above where the washer will be located so it's a nice open feel while I wash, dry, repeat, repeat, repeat...never ending story of laundry.

Notice how the paint is starting to cover it, finally.

For the back wall we needed to pallet a six foot section. Mr came up with this. He cut the pallets down to two feet then put a frame pallet piece over the joints. We left the very top section of this wall open so it would mirror the open squares from the front wall...I love it. 


Those open squares needed screen too. It's the worst of the creepy crawlies that can climb (spiders, I think scorpions too, plus fire ants!) 
I had to stop screening so Mr could work on the doors so I moved into the Suds to start painting the ceiling.

First coats are just to give the second coat a nonabsorbent surface so it doesn't have to be pretty, just on there. 

Here's the beginning of the doors. These are fence boards we reclaimed from our old garden. 


My never ending story of paint continues in the interior. 
Well, that's all I got for you today, but we really have the ball rolling so I have a ton more to share. Adventures in plumbing and electrical, oh my:) 
Till next time, y'all keep it green, clean, and classy.
Shalimar

No comments:

Post a Comment